Did you know protein is the building block of muscle and is crucial for many bodily functions? We’re going to review the benefits of protein, how it helps the body perform optimally, and how to intake more protein into your daily diet!
- Helps build. Protein is crucial for building healthy bones, muscles, cartilage and skin. Additionally, food that is considered a “complete protein” contains the 9 essential amino acids that assist in these functions. These 9 amino acids are essential because the body doesn’t produce them naturally, and we rely on our food to get them. Animal meat, eggs, diary, and Apex Meat Sticks/Jerky are all considered complete proteins!
- Restores cells. The body needs protein to build and repair tissue. Red blood cells contain a protein that delivers oxygen throughout the body. As a result, this supplies the entire body with the necessary nutrients it needs to perform optimally. If you live an active lifestyle or workout regularly, protein intake greatly helps the recovery process. We recommend eating a meat stick post workout or when you're out adventuring!
- Regulates hormones. Protein plays an important role in hormone regulation, especially the hunger hormone “ghrelin”. In one study, increasing protein intake from 15% to 30% of calories made overweight women eat 441 fewer calories each day without intentionally restricting anything (source).
- Keeps you full. In a study featured in the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, researchers confirmed the evidence on the effect of protein intake on perceived fullness and confirmed that protein does, in fact, make us feel fuller. When you feel less hungry, you are less likely to over eat, and naturally make healthier food choices as well.
How to Intake More Protein Daily
If you are someone looking to gain muscle, lose fat, or tone up, eating enough protein is crucial. Below are a few tips on how to incorporate more protein into your daily diet!
- Begin your first meal with a focus on protein. This sets yourself up for success for choosing healthy meals throughout the day. Scrambled eggs, greek yogurt with berries, a smoothie with a scoop of protein powder, or omelets are just a few ideas to get your morning started on the right track.
- Make snack time easy. Healthy snacks don’t have to be complicated. In a matter of minutes, you can have a high protein “mini meal”. Apex Meat Sticks are an amazing option for this. Packed with 9-11g protein per stick (depending on flavor), these sticks are convenient for work breaks, on-the-go travel, or just a quick snack in between meals. You can purchase those here!
- Focus on High Protein Meals. It doesn’t have to be rocket science when focusing on high protein. When deciding your daily meals, picture the palm of your hand, and make sure your protein source is similar in size to that. Lean meats such as chicken, fish, pork loin, and turkey are just a few options for this.